Saturday 7 March 2015

THE GREAT INDIAN VALENTINE DAY TAMASHA

In February, St. Valentine, the third century Roman poet is the most revered deity in this part of the world. That he was little known till about two decades ago is a non-issue. In recent times, he has developed a mammoth fan following of ardent devotees. The youth of the nation is bewitched by the spell of Valentine’s day. It's all too imposing and intrusive. Every product being sold these days is seeking an allegiance to the impending Valentine’s day. The days of greeting cards, chocolates, soft toys and keyrings are passé. The stakes are higher this time. It has got to be bigger and bolder. After all, fervour of love should be matched by loosening of purse strings. Generosity of heart has a stiff competitor in a loaded wallet. It’s impossible to remain immune in this emotionally surcharged atmosphere. Anyone who is not partaking in the jamboree is an odd nut case. 
After being inundated with mushy romantic quotes, inspirational offers in media and a thorough Whatsapp assault awakening my snoozing romantic side, I suggested falteringly to my worse half (by virtue of logical reasoning since I happen to be his better half) to do something special this Valentine. He gave me a look as if I have lost it…!! I persisted though and made all plans meticulously.
 Yesterday evening my washerman,a self styled Salman Khan fan, with an outlandish dress sense asked for two days leave and an advance for personal reasons. On being probed further he revealed it was for the Balentine day ! I was stumped. Not that there is anything wrong in a man,regardless of his social ranking, taking his wife out for some fun but the level of priority and significance being attached to such a banal event is like overdoing the act. It also reveals that the hold of advertising gimmicks and media hype over the psyche of the people is effective and absolute.
Banning and censuring by the moral police doesn't really help the cause. Love is after all a very volatile emotion. Boycott the sellers of love who make a mockery (Tamasha) of it. 
P.s. My plans for 14 feb stands cancelled as all the hotels are overcharging and my love for hard earned moolah supercedes any love for Reverend St. Valentine. God bless his soul..!

4 comments:

  1. Is St Valentine considered "a god"?

    Among us Catholics, first of all, he was a Catholic priest, not just a poet, then as he was martyred he is also a Saint.

    I came to you because I wanted to tell you, that I am linking to your blog on the post Blogs from Countries Where I have Readers, part I, France to Italy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the clarification. It seems there are a lot of misconceptions prevailing about him. I am OK with my blog being linked to the above post.

      Delete
    2. Thank you!

      I am glad to hear that.

      Delete
  2. ...that is how times change and the popular culture enriches itself by making new imports ... since it is happening it is fine to accept the WINDS OF CHANGE and celebrate ...

    ReplyDelete